Forest Spirit

I sat and admired Vanessa Lemen's ability of finding shapes, and wanted to try it. The canvas I used had gone wrong because the paper buckled when I mounted it, but I kept it for an occasion like this. I thought it might be interesting to use the folds, but it was more trouble than it was worth.
I started in portrait orientation with a vague idea of sun above and something green below, then turned the canvas sideways and made it a forest-like scenery. Eventually the figure emerged in the middle; the dark shape behind it turned into an ent-like being, holding her, while ink blown with a drinking straw became branches coming out of her.
At that point I decided to end the experiment. I kinda like how it worked, although I feel I should have taken it to a more finished level. Next time, I'll start much lighter, and less saturated, to have room to maneuver. The most annoying part was waiting for the thing to dry, as I tend to work hastily but very wet, and even acrylics don't dry that fast (and I guess that's why Mrs. Lemen has a studio filled with drying paintings).
I then put up with trying to photograph it - to no avail - and then scanned it in several pieces and used Photoshop photomerge tool and camera RAW filter. This is faaairly similar to the original.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Traditional media, 2

DSA Art Dump – Waldweg