Texture Quest IV

Several things aligned for this set of sketches - I was on a Star Wars spree after finishing Jedi: Survivor, was hunting for new fun ways to paint, and had expendable material lying about, and so upon deciding working with coloured backgrounds, I sketched jedi, of course. I need an airbrush (something that sounds so cool, but I only have ony roome to work in that isn't so easy to air while I work, and I have the feeling tht spraying a fine mist of paint will somehow, inexplicably, get into my breathing air as well. I heard airbrush artist complain about way more sinus problems a few years in, so workplace safety is a concern). While I love looking at very colourful artworks, mine are typically very saturated but lack variety, something I hope to fix with this method. The experiment continues!

Each sketch is more or less the size of a postcard, the backgrounds are heavily textured from previous experiences; many have paint flakes in them or thickly-dried paint caked on (and some had ground coffee, I think), on either paper of foil. Yes, plastic foil. Not always with a perfect covering so those are painted on the back with black acrylic ink - making them sticky on both sides, hooray - and at least one is backed with orange paper.
They were originally used to create textures to be used in digital artworks: I spooned leftover paints into office foils, kneaded and pushed them, then scanned them. Some were cut open prior to scanning. Because I never like throwing anything away that could be artsy material, I later cut them to small pieces for occasions like these. On this small size, heavy texture is a curse, but at least it prohibited noodling at details, and I worked with brushes no smaller than a #6, I think. Some turned out nicely; the ones I prepared specifically better than the old, messy ones. I like [line 3, fourth image] because it has a colour texture close to what I had in mind. [Line 1, fourth image] also has something I like with the coloured cloak.


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Traditional media, 2

The 9 Circles of Hell